In this section you are required to fill out your personal statement. This can be customized per site that you selected to have your application sent to. This can be done by selecting add new entry.
Title this personal statement for ease of reference. Type your personal statement in the section below. Enter in your personal statement into the text box or by copying and pasting from a word processing document. A maximum of 8000 characters or approximately 1,000 words may be entered. In your personal statement address the following items.
- Why do you want to enter the dietetics profession?
- Discuss experiences that have helped to prepare you for your career,
- What are your short-term and long-term goals?
- What are your strengths and weaknesses or areas needing improvement?
- What other information do you consider important for the selection decision?
Once you are satisfied with your personal statement you may save it by clicking the save button at the bottom of the page.
These general instructions should be read thoroughly BEFORE you begin to complete the application.
- The 2017-2018 DICAS is for use during the 2017-2018 selection cycle for internships taking place in 2018.
- DICAS may only be used to apply to internship sites that are registered for and participating in the DICAS Match. This includes all DICAS-member programs as well as a small number of non-member programs that are participating in the Match.
Applicants are NOT permitted to send electronic or paper versions of the DICAS to sites that do not meet the above criteria.
- While the information requested about your background and experience is comprehensive, no applicant is expected to have experience in all, or even most, of these areas! In fact, most internship programs focus primarily on those areas that are a good fit for their programs.
- Even though DICAS is a standardized application, each site has its own application instructions and deadlines. It is each applicant’s responsibility to be familiar with each site’s application procedures, requirements, and deadlines. For example, some sites may request that you provide additional material (e.g., testing reports), and DICAS will permit you to attach this information electronically.
- The DICAS application will be completed via the internet, using your internet browser, and sent electronically to the internship sites that you designate.
- For those of you unfamiliar with an online application, the following brief description is provided to describe the overall application. DICAS is organized by Portals and includes an Applicant Portal (the portal that you, as an internship applicant will complete), a Selection Portal (the repository of applications that are sent to a specific internship site), a Reference Portal (the portal in which the individuals writing letters of recommendation for you will upload their letter), and a DPD (Didactic Program in Dietetics) Portal (the part of the application in which your DPD director will verify your readiness for internship). In addition to these general instructions, each section of DICAS has its own specific instructions. These specific instructions can be accessed by clicking the “Instructions for this Section” button at the top right corner of each page.
- Due to the flexibility an online application environment affords, modifications of the instructions for each section may be made at a future time based on input from applicants.
Browser vendors recommend users stay up to date on the latest version of the browsers and we recommend the same for the optimal application experience. If you experience an issue, please contact our Customer Support team for assistance.
To check if your browser is up-to-date, please visit WhatIsMyBrowser.com.
ELEMENTS OF THE STANDARDIZED APPLICATION
This section describes the elements of a typical internship application submitted through the DICAS system. It is important to again emphasize that each site has its own application requirements and deadlines, and thus not all applications will look the same. A standard application typically includes a personal statement, a resume, transcript(s), letters of recommendation, verification by your program director and possibly supplemental materials requested by a specific internship site
This is the “meat” of the application and includes questions about your background, education, and experience.
The personal statement provides an introduction to your application and, most importantly, an opportunity for you to describe your interest in, and fit with, a particular site. It also gives you the opportunity to address site-specific issues or questions. DICAS permits you to submit an individualized personal statement for each site to which you are applying.
The accepted file formats are MSWord (.doc), Rich Text Format (.rtf), Portable Document Format (.pdf), and ASCII Text file (.txt). Does not password protect your files.
Macintosh Users: Please be sure that the appropriate extension (e.g., ‘.doc’, ‘.pdf’) is at the end of the file name you select.
Note: If you are having problems uploading your Resume please make sure you are using one of the following browsers.
- Mozilla Firefox
- Google Chrome
- Internet Explorer 9.0 and above
- Safari 5.1 and above
The size limit for the file upload is 250KB.
Includes transcripts from all institutions that you have attended, whether a degree was obtained or not. You are required to submit one official copy of each transcript to the DICAS service, which will be scanned and attached to each application. Most sites do not request foreign transcripts; therefore they are not required by DICAS in order for your application to be considered complete. However, some sites prefer to review them, so if you wish to send a copy of a foreign transcript or an official evaluation to DICAS, they will be scanned on your behalf.
Please note: Unofficial transcripts, photo copies and issued to student transcripts are all considered unofficial, and will not be accepted under any circumstances.
Most sites request three letters of recommendation, although a few have a different requirement. The DICAS service allows you to request letters from your recommenders, who will then upload their letters directly to the service. Once you have listed your references in the References section of the application checklist, you may attach your references (as well as your Personal Statement and Supplemental Document) to the designation in the Program Designations section prior to submission. Applicants can submit the application before their references are complete. Please contact your designations for their specific reference submission deadlines.
These are any additional materials that may be requested by a program, such as testing batteries and/or reports, etc. The DICAS service allows you to upload supplemental materials for each site that requires such materials.
Verification by Your Program Director:
Your Dietetic Program Director is required to complete one of the the following on your application, your declaration of intent, or your verification statement. Fill in the DPD Contact Information section and click “Save”. This will will send a request to your DPD requiring their verification. You will not be permitted to submit any applications to internship sites until this verification process is completed by your DPD. Pleases do not send a hard copy of your verification statement or declaration of intent to DICAS as we cannot accept them.
If you have questions about the content of this application and/or questions about how to answer a specific item, please consult the item-specific instructions that are located on each page of the DICAS.
If you have questions or difficulties with the technical aspects of the DICAS (e.g., web site difficulties, payment questions, difficulties submitting your transcript), please contact the DICAS support team at 1–617–612–2855. You can also click on the “Contact Us” icon on the left side of the Applicant Portal checklist page under the Help section.